I posted this on facebook, but decided to post it here as well. So enjoy 25 random facts about me...
1. I ate meat multiple times a day until I met my friend Amber and she lent me some books eight years ago.
2. The first complete sentence that I spoke was "I need new batteries" when I was 2.
3. My first vivid memory is from my third birthday when I thought to myself that when I'm twice as old as I am now, I'll be 6!
4. I was hijacked to Havana, Cuba in the early 80s with my mom when we were on our way to visit my uncle in Miami.
5. I love museums and my mom would take me to one on every school holiday when I was little. I once spent the better part of a day in the Louvre, however on another occasion spent about 5 minutes in the National Gallery with my friend Stacie (we had to catch a bus!).
6. I've traveled to ten countries in the past four years.
7. I've always been a recycler. I remember my mom holding me up when I was little to put the glass coke bottles into the recycling bins at the grocery store.
8. I had never heard of MIT until I met Woodie Flowers late in my sophomore year of high school. He suggested that I check the place out :)
9. While at MIT, I lived in a co-op where I cooked dinner for up to 30 people at once. I miss all of my old housemates a ton.
10. I never liked cooking much until I became vegan. Now it's one of the most enjoyable things that I do.
11. I've run two full marathons and a few halves. I'm trying to get into triathlons, but I'm a horrible swimmer.
12. I wrote my first computer program on the night of my 5th birthday in BASIC on my brand new C64.
13. In high school, I created our school's first website and put our school newspaper on the web. This was in 1996, and I wrote this fun java program to turn our newspaper into HTML. For this they gave me an office with a computer. It was fun to have friends visit and we kept Jen's soccer schedule on the whiteboard.
14. My favorite restaurant is Hakkasan in London which I don't get to go to very often. The one I frequent most is Thai Garden in Schaumburg where I eat almost once a week.
15. I'm an avid reader and love reading about almost any topic. Most of my reading is non-fiction, but I do enjoy fiction as well. There's just too much I want to learn first!
16. While most of my schooling was in engineering, most of my job involves ethnography and design. I don't see a contradiction in that at all, and see so many links between the arts and sciences every day.
17. Last year I watched a soccer game at Estadio Azteca from the broadcast booth.
18. I make lists. Lots of lists. Things to do, books to read, studies I want to plan, papers I want to write...
19. I try not to drive my car on weekends. This is hard in the winter, but living by the train helps.
20. I've been to Disney (World/Land/Paris/Tokyo) 17 times in my life. I'm only missing Hong Kong Disney which I hope to go to later this year!
21. I can't go to San Francisco without making a trip to Muir Woods. It's one of the most peaceful places on the planet.
22. My favorite places to run include the Chicago lakefront path, the Charles in Boston, and the Golden Gate Bridge. I guess I like running near water?
23. I strongly believe in helping young people love to learn. For the past three years, I've tutored at 826 Chicago and prior to that mentored a high school team in the FIRST Robotics Competition. If you're looking to volunteer, check both of them out! They are both national.
24. Amelie is my favorite movie. I spent a day in Paris going to all of the scenes in the movie (and noticing the extreme lack of photo booths in the metro!)
25. I miss the academic rigor of MIT. I'm definitely looking forward to getting out there this week to teach again!