So I've done this for the past 2 years and it was fun, so here we go again!
1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
Worked with a startup company, watched (part of) a soccer game from a private suite, visited Australia, climbed the stairs at the Eiffel Tower, rode in a high-speed train (not counting acela), saw a musical in Chicago, rode in a ferry boat, went surfing in the ocean!
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't really make resolutions.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Last year, I promised to do better at this, and I did! This year I visited Australia, The Netherlands, France, Canada, and Mexico.
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
More free time.
7. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory?
November 30th, the finals of the South American Cup, which I watched live at Estadio Azteca while demoing a system we made.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Completing and demonstrating an application for use in soccer games at Estadio Azteca during the finals of the South American Cup!
9. What was your biggest failure?
My dating life.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Twice! Which is a record for me since I never get sick. I got salmonella poisoning at the Taste of Chicago and then caught a bad flu which turned into bronchitis after one of my trips to Mexico City in December.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new TV + HD TiVo. It's awesome :)
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My parents, for *finally* buying a house in FL after talking about it for the past 5 years.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
George W Bush, and the rest of his administration (same answer as the last two years)
14. Where did most of your money go?
To my condo. At least it's not going away to rent!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to Paris!! (and Disneyland Paris)
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
You Are the Music In Me (HSM2) because I've watched that movie more than any 28 year old should or Like You (Kelis) which was in a neofuturist play I saw twice and really liked.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you
i. happier or sadder? happier
ii. thinner or fatter? a tiny bit fatter...gotta get running more again!
iii. richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Spending time with friends.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At my parent's house with my aunts, uncles, and cousins. Good times!
22. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Sadly, no, not even close.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Colbert still ranks as #1 although I've been sad with the writers strike! MythBusters, Grey's, and Numb3rs are also high on the list.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
There's only one person I've ever hated, and yes they are still on that very short list :)
26. What was the best book you read?
What is the What (eggers) and The Assault on Reason (gore)
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Totally the Red Elvises (introduced by Mor)
28. What did you want and get?
To be invited to be on a program committee for a conference. And was on the PC for ACM Multimedia, am the Poster and Demo chair for Hotmobile, and am on the PC for the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries.
29. What did you want and not get?
I really wanted to finish a bunch of work and get a paper into CHI on the mobile social work I've been doing. Other things came up and it looks like it will have to wait until ubicomp.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
31. What did you do on your birthday?
Had dinner with my parents at Leonas. Nothing too special.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Going on more than two dates with the same person :)
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
I don't really spend too much time (or money) on fashion. I did get a few nice shirts and found some jeans I really liked.
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you admire the most?
I continue to admire Obama, although I'm also glad to see Kucinich still in there fighting for what he believes in!
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
All of my friends in far away places.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Meredith...a fun teacher who volunteers at 826 and is interested in exploring mobile education tools!
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
To really stand up for what I believe is right and keep pushing for it no matter how much people want to keep the status quo or avoid conflict.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
¡Aguilas, a ganar!